|the jane fonda workout!
||[Aug. 9th, 2005|09:54 am]
when i was a kid, i used to do the jane fonda workout in the living room with my sister and my mom. i remembered it as fun, so when discosweat came about, i thought it a time to dig it up. it's been recently re-released on dvd! i bought it.|
i remember going all through the 90's with a negative feeling about aerobics and exercise in general. i thought i was just angsty, but there was actually a very good reason for this cynicism: aerobics in the 80s.
the video begins simply enough with a pee-wee's playhouse-like claymation of jane fonda in her gym. jane fonda introduces it and says something along the lines of "it's difficult to fit a 60-minute workout into your busy schedule, so i've gone ahead and made two separate workouts that are 55 minutes long each."
what?! who did the math on that one?
then the real video begins. i think there may have been a sign outside the gym saying "your hair must be this high to enter":
at first i was like "wow, everyone has really tan legs, and then i realized that they're all just wearing tights! with socks! in some cases, three pairs of socks on each foot! (remember that?)
but it's not just the tights and the socks! leotards with suspenders, tiger stripes, leopard prints, oh my!
my favorite, again, is the asian girl. i wonder what is in her hair. it mystifies me:
jane gets a mean case of camel toe as punishment for popularizing this video:
in all honesty, the weirdest part of the video is captured in this sequence:
http://www.boygirlparty.com/lj/discosweat/fonda/fondasample.AVI (movie file, 4.2 MB download)
1. you will notice that all the vocals/talking/instructions/WILD YELPING from the annoying overly-tanned woman with the big blond hair and the suspenders are overdubbed!
2. occasional closeups on the asian woman's butt. (you can tell it's her butt because of the zebra stripes) - this actually helps both to aid in following the video (because it's like watching the person in front of you) as well as aid in the amusement factor.
3. sometimes the video will cut away from the exercise room to a blue screen, in front of which jane + friends are exercising to old stock footage?!
- hilarity ensued, this workout is fabulously dated and i can't believe it was released on dvd.
- customizable workout (at all times, the people on the right are doing a low-intensity version of the aerobics)
- tones upper body and lower body in separate chapters from the aerobics workout (you'll need some weights + a chair, though)
- it is hard for me to squeeze two separate 55 minute workouts into my day, contrary to jane's opinion.
- music is all keyboard demo-sounding stuff!!
- all the walk-turn sequences did a number on my knees, cause i was exercising on a carpet.
- my hair will never be that high.
My mom got this video when it came out. I definitly use to wear at least 2 pairs of scrunchy socks. One would be white and the other color would be whatever matched my outfit. And don't forget reeboks were the shoe. So you would wear those with laces and 2 velco straps at the top, those were a must. And bows, we had numerous bow clips to choose from for our hair. Oh, and of course I also had the suspenders for my jeans & suspender like bathing suits. Ahhhhh, those were the days.
you would have fit in great!
then the real video begins. i think there may have been a sign outside the gym saying "your hair must be this high to enter"
Oh my god that just kills me. HA!
also, the groin cut on your leotard must be this high to enter, too.
2005-08-09 03:04 pm (UTC)
jane fonda! woo! workit! uh-huh!
i wondered if you were going to come across this one. wow, seeing the clips brings it all back. and the claymation, ee! this is the one my mom did for YEARS when i was young. and, of course, i always danced along side her. workit, sooz.
2005-08-09 04:50 pm (UTC)
Re: jane fonda! woo! workit! uh-huh!
ha! i almost wish i hadn't revisited it to tarnish my childhood memories! thankfully there are still so many 80's workouts to go.
That video clip was the best!! Next time I am going to try yelping like that when I am in the middle of a great aerobic workout. You never know, it might be the key to it all!
i hear jane fonda has a new series of exercise videos called "yelp it out with jane fonda"!
That yelping was great. I never knew people wore tights while exercising. I would try it but it seems uncomfortable.
I looked through the videos in my house and I found a few that I can send you. I have Richard Simmons' Step and Sweat, Jane Fonda's Favorite Fatburners, and Kathy Smith's Kickboxing workout (this one might be my aunt's though, I gotta double check.) Let me know if you want them- I'll be happy to send it to you! I'd do these workouts myself but I'm moving across the country, and I doubt that any of my roommates will have a VHS player.
i would probably not recommend wearing tights while exercising; not just for the comfort factor, but also because it looks absurd.
i'd love to try out your videos!
my address is:
77 knowles st.
providence, ri 02906
thanks so much!!
I sent it out a couple days ago. have fun!
do you think all these ladies bought their sneakers a 1/2 size too big to accomodate for their multiple sock action?
i actually thought all their shoes looked ridiculous small for that amount of sockage! their hair may be big, but their brains are very small.
We could totally shoot our own discosweat video. I have the phatty video camera! You could do the soundtrack and come up with the program!